Sunday, December 11, 2011

Inspired Post #7: Ohhhh Social Media, How I Do Not Love Thee

I realize no twenty-something student today should ever say this but I’m going to so hold onto your britches: I do not like social media. Although I realize it can be used for great purposes at times, the primary use of it appears to me to have negative effects on users that so often go unnoticed. Through degrading our personal relationships, affecting our interaction with the physical world, and significantly draining our time in some cases,  social media seems to be hurting more than it is helping.

I realize the advantage that staying in contact with friends far away has, but I just wonder if the quality of interactions on social media sites upholds this advantage. If I can keep in contact with friends from NY over Facebook or Twitter, am I less likely to make a roadtrip up to see them or get coffee when we are back in our hometown for the holidays? Perhaps it is because I am a bit old-fashioned but I am inclined to say yes. The beauty of communication and connection is also the downfall in my opinion; we feel connected enough that we lose sight of the value in disconnect.

Additionally, with the multitude of other issues going on in our world and events or activities that can be done with real people and in the real world, I am baffled by the amount of hours my friends spend on Facebook. With technology and the globalized world already disconnecting us from traditional outdoor pursuits like camping, cooking, and reading, it seems social media is just the next drain on our time. Personally, I wish we would see more efforts to combat the black hole of technology and get out into the world more.


The real case that social media worries me, is with teens and young adults. Having a younger sister, I feel the effects of technology on the age groups below us a bit too acutely. A recent article in ScienceNews states that although there are benefits to these sights, in teenagers the also make kids more “more prone to anxiety, depression, and other psychological disorders, as well as by making them more susceptible to future health problems.” The study does also list such benefits as creating a greater deal of empathy with their friends and helping introverted kids become more socialized, but can’t all this be done in conventional activities such as girl scouts, swim teams, and playing in the neighborhood?


Perhaps this is just the next change that our technical society is undergoing and we should focus on the benefits and advantageous uses of social media. However, I cannot help but miss the days when the way to keep in touch with friends was calling them up and grabbing a cup of coffee face-to-face.

No comments:

Post a Comment