Sunday, December 11, 2011

Inspired Post #3: Why is it So Difficult to Care?


In completing our final policy brief, our team talked a lot about implementation and motivating citizens to change. These discussion were obviously regarding natural gas but can certainly be applied to a vast array of other situations. However, one issue we kept stumbling on was whether or not the incentives and gains from a policy recommendation would actually incited people to change. It may seem like a simple question and answer but I’m not so sure.

We have all seen a push for cleaner energy and the green revolution in the U.S. over recent years. Although we all know the costs and benefits, so few people regularly take advantage of incentives and actions that can carry out more environmentally friendly objectives from a policy but also an overall life perspective. This leads me to my question, why is it so difficult for individuals to care?

I think it all comes down to human beings being creature of habit and averse to change. Although the environmental example may be oversimplified and overused, I think there is still a valuable observation to be made here. You and I both know that we should bring a reusable bag to the grocery store or walk to class instead of taking the bus but how often do you chose the latter option rather than the former? For me, the answer is more than I know I should.

So to bring this back to a policy relevance, this observation coupled with the knowledge I gained in this class have really given me a new appreciation for the job of a U.S. policy maker. Although you spend hours and hours working, consulting, theorizing, testing, supporting, and finally deciding on a single policy plan and implementation, who’s to say your constituents will even appreciate or capitalize on your hard work? I realize the payoff is certainly great in terms of the overall good of our country, but I feel that too few people realize how difficult a task this really is. I know if I had not taken this course, I would certainly still be ignorant of it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment