Sunday, December 11, 2011

Assigned Blog #2: The World is Flat as a Pancake


In our discussion of the Friedman’s flattened world we continually alluded to or discussed the dissemination of American ideas and culture in this flattened world. I think is certainly true of our commercialization principles and our companies but not necessarily in terms of our entire culture. Over the past few years, I have been fortunate enough to travel a great deal all around the world; while I have seen many tenets of America’s consumerist ideas and business, the heart and culture of each place I have traveled has very must remained true to itself. Although in many places the American business’ presence did create an odd juxtaposition, I saw it from neither Friedman’s positive nor Morozov’s negative perspective.


One of the most prominent examples I can think of regarding the pervasive nature of our consumerist culture is our food. From the KFC on the side of the dirt road in Cambodia, to the McDonalds in the beautiful marble building in Rome, to the Subway around the corner of my house in Guatemala, American food enterprises seemed to be everywhere when I traveled. However, I don’t see this as a bad thing. Just as we in the U.S. have tex-mex, chinese, and thai chains as our exotic cuisine, so too do they have other countries have their ‘exotic’ American cuisine. The presence of American food chains did not seem to affect the culture or mentalities of the individuals I met in the respective countries.
If anything the presence of these stores stood to highlight the vibrancy of the local culture. They seemed to illustrate the depth and strength foreign cultures contain when compared with our own. As much as I love Subway, a 6-inch BMT just does not seem as elegant, nor as artful as the homemade carrot soup my Guatemalan mother made from scratch. In several of our discussions we talked about whether it was right or just to impose our culture and ideals on other countries. However, I don’t think the spread of the consumerist lifestyle is doing any imposing; to me, it seems as though it is simply the natural progression of the global scene as we move into this technologically dominated world.

So in viewing cuisine as a proxy for American ideals, I would venture to argue that neither the Freidman nor Morozov was correct. Yes, we may be presenting our ideas and culture to those around the world but not in an eclipsing manner. From my experience, it is being taken with a grain of salt and altered different in each country to determine how it will fit amidst rather than in place of what is already there.

1 comment:

  1. American consumerism is everywhere. The fact that you can buy Coca-Cola anywhere almost anywhere in the world has even inspired groups to use its distribution networks to send medicine to places that need it the most. Markets have become global and as corporations grew, they moved to satisfy the largest crowd. There’s no going back now. If it isn’t the United States leading the status quo, then it will be somebody else. I agree with you that this is a natural progression and I don’t believe that culture has been the main culprit. Even in the U.S., as diverse as it is, there are strong feelings to remain connected through common ancestry. I see the same internationally, especially when there are diasporas that still feel a sense of unity.

    American food chains are not the main culprits though either. Unless you’re English, I’d say food is one of the most prideful aspects of culture and probably will be one of the last to be given up. I see the U.S. infiltrating international cultures more through clothing and media. The U.S. is the music and movie center of the world and media is one of the most powerful cultural forces. It sets the stage for styles and ideas. This is one of the largest reasons Hollywood was so censored during the Red Scare. I’ve heard this this U.S. influence is especially noticeable in Japan, where retro U.S. styles are commonly popular. So, while I agree that most of this consumerism is harmless against culture, there does exist some threat with the U.S. dominating the entertainment market.

    ReplyDelete